Decentralized Accounting Creates Real Time Inventory
An agricultural company was using a large number of spreadsheets to track their inventory,packaging, and lot numbers.
- Because of the complexity of the system, the data was often outdated before the reports were published.
- Only one person in the organization understood how to compile the reports. If she took a vacation, the reports had to wait.
- To give customers the additional data they needed such as lot numbers, all invoices were prepared in Excel.
After reviewing their business processes, ie Solutions upgraded the organization to QuickBooks Enterprise and:
- Set up the Advanced Inventory module to track multiple warehouses, inventory, and lot numbers.
- Set up the security and internal controls in a way that made it practical to give marketing and warehouse personnel access to the system.
- Decentralized data entry, so that salespeople and warehouse staff entered their own orders, receipts and shipments.
- Enabled real-time reporting of inventory, which increased flexibility in marketing and sales while reducing data entry tasks.
- Customized the invoices so that customers received the information they needed without the accounting staff manually entering it in Excel.