Streamlined Reporting saves 40 hours per month
Anon-profit organization with fewer than fifty employees was using an older version of QuickBooks, an outside service bureau for their payroll, and a merchant account for credit card transactions.
- Because the Board of Directors required a certain report format to support its meetings, the accounting staff was using Excel spreadsheets to create those reports. When financial adjustments were made in QuickBooks, the reports often needed to be completely redone. The monthly process of getting the reports out took as much as 40 hours a month.
- Accounting staff also had to enter into QuickBooks the payroll data from the service bureau’s printed reports, as well as credit card transaction data from the merchant account—duplicate work that increased the risk of inaccuracies.
- As a non-profit entity, the organization was concerned about security, and wanted to reduce the risk of breaches.
At the beginning of the engagement, ie Solutions gathered information on current business processes. It didn’t make sense that they were using so many tools. ie Solutions designed significantly more streamlined processes before upgrading their system to QuickBooks Enterprise.
- In QuickBooks Enterprise, ie Solutions set up the QuickBooks Statement Writer to create custom reports in an Excel format that satisfied the requirements for the monthly board meetings. If financial data was adjusted, the staff could re-run the reports at the touch of a button. As a result, six manual entry spreadsheets were removed from the process, accuracy improved, and the time required to prepare monthly reports dropped from 40 hours to less than a half hour.
- For payroll processing, ie Solutions converted the organization to QuickBooks Payroll so they could simply enter timeinstead of re-entering Payroll, which saved time and money, and insured that transaction were being posted accurately and consistently.
- For credit card processing, ie Solutions converted the organization to QuickBooks Merchant Services so that they could simply download the data instead of re-entering it, again saving time and money.